Thursday, July 24, 2008

Lay off , Live Show!

We all have heard about it , read about , experienced or witnessed. Well , I witnessed it . Live show , I would put it as. Reality in current corporate world , considering slow down of US economy. Well this post will describe one such lay off which happened dramatically.

I am currently doing an Internship in company called NextWave Wireless. It looked like a normal day , where I was just doing my low priority work. After all Intern does that, in most cases at least. Our team had a normal meeting at 2 , just briefing about status. Outside the room , through the window , I could see people with tense look , moving around here and there. I hardly gave it a thought , was kind of lost after heavy lunch. I returned to desk around 3pm to continue my routine work , and was chatting with a friend regarding full time opportunity here . Call it a coincidence , an High Importance mail popped up which described about need for force reduction (or lay off) of about 10% to protect companies financial security. Then I thought , well full time chances is almost ruled out , have to look for a new one. So , had not much worries. Yes , I was kind of disappointed. Well , the whole point of doing an internship is convert into full time job. So , I went to cafeteria to get a cup of coffee. On my way , I could see petty groups of people here and there with a concerned look. Well , I thought people are just thinking who might actually get fired. Sadly that wasn't !!!.


I returned to my desk , one of the manager came to cubicle of another manager near to my desk and said he will do some hand off , and said he will chill out for next 2 weeks and start all over looking for a job again!!. Then I realized , people actually are fired. Then I went to desk of another intern whom I know , he wasn't there at his desk . But he was in around group of 6-7 Desis who were just talking lightly. Then I came to know everything . In that Desi group , 4 of them actually got layed off.

It seems people who got fired , got a mail to attend all hands meet around 2:30 pm in the afternoon and they cant afford to miss. Believe it or not , at 2pm their systems where locked by IT department , to protect Company data. When they attended the meeting , they were told one of the groups (Network group) was not performing well , So they are forced to lay off. They took their systems away , badges everything. And they were handed over HR bundle for exit process. It seems there was even stack of cardboard boxes to help fired employees take their stuff. One positive thing though is that they were in payroll for next 2 months.


What a dramatic day it was , even though I was not involved , it was quite a shocker to witness such a thing. This episode clearly explained how unpredictable life could be. You came in the morning and without warning you are asked to leave. Even the most feared or pessimistic person wouldn't have thought about it.


I guess in life , you have to be prepared for the worst. If you are then it is easy to digest such shocks. If we are not ready to face the reality then its always difficult to get over such events in life. Having said that , one should not be to pessimistic as well, always hoping for the worst. One should be optimistic in life and think that what ever happens , happens for good. Even though it is hard to visualize the positive aspects of a bad event , who knows that could be blessing in disguise. After all every cloud has a silver lining. If this is difficult , at least we should never give up hope. Well I end this blog from my favorite movie Shawshank Redemption "Hope is a good thing , may be best of things , and no good thing ever dies".

7 comments:

Sachin Kulkarni said...

maga.. very good conclusion, but i still disagree with the general notion of "whatever happens, happens for good". sometimes bad things do happen and they are actually bad. no good could come of that in future. we need to accept the fact that both good and bad things happen in life. If we keep hoping that whatever is going to happen, will be good, then it is in this hope that we lose the ability to face bad consequences. I would like to quote the wise Indian adage "Karmanye vadhikarasthe maa phaleshu kadachana". Geeta talks of 'Nishkama kriye' or 'desireless action'. Its very difficult to achieve, but if you at least make a small effort, then you will feel much better. My conclusion is "Dont think abt whats going to happen, no need to hope for anything - good or bad, coz just as bad things happen, good things also happen".

Swetha said...

he he this issue has become so frequent in IT industry nowadays....
Have options always open :-P

vijukul said...

i got to see the live show too.. in Intuit. 575 people were laid off.. the people who got fired, were informed on the morning they got fired.. by noon everyone who got fired had got the message and were allowed to take the day off.. by 12:30pm we get a mail from the CEO about the layoffs.. then the manager meets the team and updates.. our manager said 2 people from our team had got affected.. he wouldnt reveal the names.. but we would know eventually..
the guy sitting next to my cubicle got fired.. and it, was very sad to listen to him giving interviews, explaining his work, and giving reasons why he got fired..
then there was a CEO Q/A next day.. people from accross the company asked him questions about the layoffs.. he gave reasonable answers which made some sense.. the layoffs were to reorganise the company and shift its focus towards products.. it was not due to the recession. and there wont be any hiring freeze. well thats what he said..

Sudhindra Aithal said...

Thanks a lot for posting some comments.

@Sachin
U have followed up anyway with a nice post in ur blog.

@Vijkul
Looks exactly same story. May be u couuld have written a post on this.

@swetha
I dont know who u are , but feels good when unknown person posts a comment. Kind of motivation to blog :D

Swetha said...

got the link of ur blog frm sachin's :-)
nyways happy blogging....

beth dlP said...

Sudhi,
Just read your blog from last year. I have been compelled to do research on NextWave after numerous IT professionals have contacted my firm regarding employment opportunities. Tried to contact Nextwave and offer transition employment assitance but cant get anyone to answer the phones or email. To bad they arent interested in the future of loyal workers. If you have any Nextwave contacts looking for employment please contact me at bdelapena@planb-solutions.com. I would like to help!
Beth dlP

beth dlP said...

Sudhi,
Just read your blog from last year. I have been compelled to do research on NextWave after numerous IT professionals have contacted my firm regarding employment opportunities. Tried to contact Nextwave and offer transition employment assitance but cant get anyone to answer the phones or email. To bad they arent interested in the future of loyal workers. If you have any Nextwave contacts looking for employment please contact me at bdelapena@planb-solutions.com. I would like to help!
Beth dlP